Friday, January 17, 2014

Moving Right Along!

This part of the adoption journey is so much fun!  Not only are we getting closer to our daughter, but things are happening so much more quickly.  So long 90 day waits!  And good riddance!

Exactly 1 week after getting our I800 approval from USCIS, we received the paperwork that we needed from the National Visa Center (GUZ # and PDF).  With that number, I was able to complete the DS-261 and DS-260 online (Abby's immigrant visa application) and then send all of that to our social worker yesterday.  Since Monday is a holiday, our Article 5 will be dropped off at the US Consulate in Guangzhou, China next Tuesday.  Feels so good to cross all these items off the list.

{FYI, before we started the adoption process all the numbers and abbreviations absolutely boggled my mind.  The fact that we've nearly completed all of them and I actually understand them now feels like a modern-day miracle.}

I never enjoy waking up in the morning, but it was especially hard this morning to get out of bed.  I was in the middle of a dream about Abby.  It was the evening of our "Gotcha Day" and I was starting to wonder how to put her to sleep without upsetting her and the next thing I knew, she crawled up in my lap, rubbed my face, and in the sweetest voice ever said, "Mama, I love you." Ugh, I did not want to leave that dream!

And then the first thing Matt said to me when I woke up was that he had an amazing Abby dream (his first time to ever dream of her).  In his, she was completely in love with him and kept running to him for big hugs.  I triple puffy-heart love this!

Realistically I know that our introduction to our baby girl may be anything but sunshine and roses.  She will probably be exhausted from the long trip to the capital city of her province.  She will probably be overwhelmed by the new sights and sounds.  She will probably be terrified by the emotional white people who look nothing like her, smell nothing like her, and don't even speak her language.  She will absolutely be grieving the loss of everything she has ever known.  It is going to be HARD (and especially hard for Abby as she is not coming from an orphanage, but from a foster family that seems to genuinely care for her).

But I believe God gave Matt and I those dreams as a promise, encouragement to hold onto hope and a reminder that His story for us and for Abby is only beginning to unfold.  And what a beautiful story it is.  So thankful to have a front-row seat to witness His glory.


“Do not be afraid, for I am with you; 
I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west.”
Isaiah 43:5

“‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, 
‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, 
plans to give you hope and a future.’”
Jeremiah 29:11

2 comments:

Erin said...

You are SO, SO close but yet still not close enough! :) Hoping you get to China ASAP!

Carolyn C said...

I'm riding the waves of this adoption journey so closely you can probably feel me breathing down your necks. I'm so happy and excited that it's all coming to fruition. Come quickly Abigail!